Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

New load of beads

I got my hands on some wonderful vintage beads. A whole bag, real treasures! I went a bit crazy, but I just couldn't help myself, I cannot wait to transform them into beautiful beaded bracelets....
Some are circa 1940, most 70’s! In the mix: hand painted, glass, shell, seeds, Venetian glass, lucite and plastic/acrylic-but not like the ones you see today. These actually look like real stone or glass, the seam is invisible. You have to look really close to see that they are not the real thing. I also often prefer them for my beaded bracelets simply because they are much more comfortable and lighter. Often, these are in very limited quantities so you can be assured that your pieces will truly be original.



Now, I have to spend some time cleaning and organizing them. Just a little hint, if you are buying vintage beads, make sure that they don't peel or break in half. Test them before you use them in your projects. Also be very careful when cleaning them. Don't rub to hard or soak them in water for too long. Personally I find that the best way to clean them is to use a soft cloth (shamwow works great) and soapy water, I take each bead, one at a time (yes, I know it does take a while) and just gently wash away all the dirt and dust.
Now what do I do with the ones that peel? I soak them in a bit of CLR and cover them in fabric or yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment